The Unfinished Garden, Reading Guide
To arrange a visit with your book club, in person or via Skype, please contact me.
- Do you believe in the healing power of gardening?
James is an unlikely hero. What do you think draws Tilly to him?
- Do you have a favorite moment, scene, or line in the book?
- What roles do trust and mistrust play in the characters’ relationships?
- Why do you think issues of control appear repeatedly throughout the novel?
- Is it reasonable for Tilly to cling to guilt after carrying out her husband’s final wishes?
- What role does Isaac play in helping her navigate her feelings?
- What are the parallels between Tilly’s guilt and James’s fear?
- How does the parent/child relationship impact other relationships in the novel?
- In what ways do you think Sebastian and David have played important but different roles in Tilly’s life?
- Finding the balance between closing yourself off and opening your life to others is an important theme of the novel. How do you think the characters achieve this?
- In the final chapter, Tilly says that she needs James. In what ways do you think Tilly and James need each other?
- How do you think Tilly’s relationship with James will differ from her marriage to David?
- How has Tilly changed from the beginning of the book to the ending? What events have caused her to change?
- What obstacles, if any, do you see for James and Tilly in the future?
Please download this printer friendly version of the reading group guide The Unfinished Garden.